Wednesday, October 31, 2012

"My 2 cents about the American dream" Dina G

Dear friends,
I need some help if you can. I have a school project. Please tell me what you think about the following question: Do you still believe in the American Dream? What were your thoughts about “America” (as they call it) before coming to the US? Is it what you expected?
Thanks for your help
Leo Amaya,

Leo Amaya Well my 2 cents: I know most of us came from poor areas in el salvador. In my case for example, I came from living poor to living poorer. At age 14 I was brought here by mother bc my choices were not too many..either my father was gonna kill me with his violence or the civil war was gonna kill me. I had no way out, but when I got here things didn't get better as my mother made lil money and was renting a living room in a very small apartment. I was put in school two days after getting here..the culture shock for my system after realizing thee everything was not what I thought it would be was too much and I wanted to go back. I missed san Salvador. I missed everyone. I remember not having a quarter to buy not even a bag of chips in school. My mom used to buy me 5 for $10 t shirts from the swapmeet lol and I think I wore the same sweater for 3 years. As soon as I was able, I got a job a McDonald's and started helping my mom. We moved into our own place, a single apartment but we were happy bc we were alone. After turning 18, learning English and getting acustom to this culture, things started to change..for the better but w out papers it was hard. I made minimum wage for a few years and helped out mom as much as we could. After getting some experience I started getting better jobs, making better money and living better. By age 24 I knew I wanted to make my life here for good and had no desire to go back. I was lucky enough to become legal when I was 26 and that helped me get even better jobs bc I was always hungry and ambitious..we brought my younger bro from el Salvador and we helped him so he wouldn't go through what we went through. By age 29 I was making good money, living good. I had my own car, own place, good friends and my family was doing good financially. I never chose to go down the wrong path and I always respected the laws of this great country. At age 30, I met a great woman and was lucky enough to get a job which could allow me to have a family and be financially stable. I married this great woman after 6 years and we now have a 5 month old beautiful baby girl. We have a strong bond my girls and me. I am greatful for the opportunitues I have been given, especially without a college education. Did I found the American dream? Am I living it? Yes..my own American dream, my family..my friends..my beautiful daughter..a stable job, good health and a place I call home. That's my American dream bc I made it mine. And I wouldnt change a single thing ;)
Friday at 10:09pm

No comments:

Post a Comment